Hey, check out my new ceramic egg carton. So cute
Actually, I need to tell you about my newest cheese discovery, Shy Brothers Farm Cloumage, a soft white cheese with the texture of fresh, full fat ricotta and the tanginess of goat cheese. It’s made from grass fed milk, bakes beautifully, and keeps for a whole month after opening. Oh, and after I picked up a box of it at Whole Foods, I found out that Bon Appétit named it one of the top 10 food trends for 2014. Not to be missed!
I’ve been eating spoonfuls of it drowned in honey, but I wanted to share it with you, so I made this super green frittata and dotted it with heaping mounds of cloumage. I kept it simple, but you can make it fancy by mixing fresh chopped herbs, black pepper, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper, chili powder, or anything else you can think of into the cloumage. I sprinkled on some thinly sliced scallions.
What else is in this frittata and why is it so green? A base of sweet yellow onions sautéed with mushrooms, many small Asian handfuls of shredded baby spinach, and 8 eggs. Depending on the size of your pan and how many mouths you’re feeding, you can easily add two more eggs.
Also, is anyone else playing the Monopoly game at Shaws? I went there to get the eggs for this frittata last night and got an entire handful of Monopoly tickets. I’m only 1 ticket away from winning $2500 in groceries, a motorcycle, or a backyard renovation. Time to get a backyard! I’m going to buy 1 item from Shaws every day for the next month until I win something. This is happening. I’m so close! Does anyone even have any idea what I’m talking about?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop the onion and mushrooms. I did this in a food processor. Time saver!
- Over the stovetop, heat butter or oil in a cast iron pan (I used an enameled one) and add the onion and mushrooms. Sauté on medium-low heat for 8 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Shred the baby spinach, chop it, or simply tear it up into small pieces. I did this in the food processor too. Spread the spinach over the mushroom and onion mixture.
- Beat 8 eggs, add salt, and pour evenly over the spinach. Drop half tablespoons of cloumage over the eggs, then bake for 20 minutes or until the center is set.